November 20, 2013

Today was full of technical difficulties. After spending some quality time with the soldering iron I decided to test and see if they were working. It turns out that my code was only going to light up 35 out of my 36 lights.

Image

 

 

When I changed the code the lights were lighting up red and not all of them would light up:

Image

 

Madeline throughly scared me by telling me that her LED strips did this before hers died. I almost cried. Audrey was running out of ideas when she told me to change the battery. I did and, Audrey saved the day!! They all light up. 

I then got help from Katia, learning how to use the sewing machine (to sew a fabric square on top of the LEDs so that my less than perfect soldering job could be fixed). 

After I sewed 2 of the strips wouldn’t light up:

Image

 

This was because I disconnected one of the pieces I soldered. After I fixed that everything was perfect!

Almost done.

November 18, 2013

Today we had class to work on our projects, and we found out that my Sqaurewear was being defective and I was getting a lot of error codes from it.

Audrey had to give me a new Squarewear to solder.

Image

Now that I had a working Squarewear I could test my jacket!!  But….

Image

Only one of the 3 strands was working… 
I looked at it and realized I soldered ground onto the power and vise-versa, so I fixed it! And they all worked (thankfully) (video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mzzPaBPkx4&feature=youtu.be)

I then hot-glued and began to solder the last LED strip on
Image

The last thing I did for the day was hot-glue the velcro onto the jacket, so that the light up panel could velcro on!

Image

 

November 13, 2013

The coding error last time was easily fixed by Audrey. I had to copy a zip-file into my Arduino folder.

 

I got to class and talked to Shanni about how to connect all of my strips of LEDs together. We figured that we should solder some wire onto the LED strips, but I should test it first to make sure that it would work.

Image

Image

This took WAY longer than solder ever should have. Luckily for me when it was successful (You can view the video of it being successful here: http://youtu.be/yFCALRQW1kY )

Now that I knew that soldering worked I was able to start attaching it to my fabric! (Which meant de-soldering it, then gluing the strips onto the fabric, and running the cords under the fabric before re-soldering).

I also finished gluing the velcro onto the fabric.

ImageImage

My final step for the day was soldering pins onto my square-wear, so that I could use rainbow connecting male-to-female wires on the final project.

Image

All in a day’s work. 

 

 

 

November 11, 2013

After Audrey throughly scares us all today, I started thinking I might want to get work done. I attempted to have a successful and productive day. Attempted. 

First I went to office hours and I cut a square for the LEDs to be attached to on my jacket:

Image

 

Next I had to solder a wire onto the LED strip. Two of the outputs had wires already attached, but one of them didn’t. 

Image

You can tell which one I soldered because it is the messy one. 

Finally I attempted to test the LED strip. Shanni and I had a lot of difficulty with this. We kept getting a weird error or the sample code.

Image

Shanni and I tried to fix this for awhile… (I watched Shanni try and fix this for awhile), but it didn’t work. Shanni emailed Rui and hopefully this will be sorted out by Wednesday.

I hoped to finish a lot more than this today, but I really needed to test the LED strip.